Thursday 8 October 2015

The Parcel

I wrote this note way back in 2008 and decided to share with you all.

Enjoy Reading! I think i should go back to my intensive writing,its very good for the soul.


In life we make various decisions that mould us into what we want to become in future.Sometimes we make the right decisions and other times we make mistakes.We are bound to make mistakes hence why we are termed " Humans".

Some grow up in rich homes and others middle class homes well the rest poor homes.But we all meet at one point and to be honest none of these classes really matter.Our society is faced by so many ill vices that sometimes we ask ourselves when would all this stop?How did it even begin..............

January 2001

The gates to the University were wide open and i couldn't help feeling excited! Finally i had left home and was on my way to real Adulthood.It was exciting to find that i had finally scaled that huddle and i was part of the necessary steps to become a graduate.We were classically termed " Jambites".It was a real hustle and bustle going through registration etc,but I honestly couldn't wait to get into the groove.Into the groove i did get! And boy was it fun!!!!!

Over the years we all learned to grow up and be our own person we all took our own courses to the right path and what we wanted to be after we left school.I struck a friendship with a very unlikely person.Why did I say unlikely? Well because everyone was scared of him!!! He was suppose to be a member of a cult group that terrorized the whole school.I didn't see that in him.I saw a real man growing,a man who had a difficult upbringing and was in that school due to hard work from his mum.I saw a brilliant student who won all the awards at every single time given, a caring and understanding friend.

A lot of my friends left me because of my relationship with Andrew.I asked Andrew at one occasion and of course he waved it off.I thought to myself he cant be!!!! He was too much a gentleman.In our final year,,Andrew burst into my room one morning excited beyond belief..Finally he had met a girl,who he wanted to marry.I was happy for him and we both went to see this girl.Life went on and at times when school was too hot we all left and went into town.Exams were looming ahead and everyone was preparing earnestly for them.Nobody wanted to be left behind well every other person graduated.I received a parcel from my dad and he had one for Andrew as well.The parcel made me happy and to be honest changed me completely.I couldn't wait to give Andrew his.I knew it would change his life as well.I rushed out of my room to his but he wasn't there.

I searched for him everywhere but couldn't find him.Days passed and I let it be.This wasn't the first time Andrew would be missing in action as I would call it.Sometimes I didn't see him for months and he would tell me he went to see his mum back in the village.I kept on leaving messages for him in his room that I had a parcel for him.

After a while I got tired of looking for him and concentrated on my studies.Word got round that Andrew was back,I was so furious I refused to go and see him.He came up to me few days later all smiles as usual.I was furious with him,but of cos my dear friend was able to sooth me.I told him about the parcel I had for him from my Dad and he said he would pick it up later."You should come see it now",I said knowing it would also make him a better person but no he was too busy.Days turned to weeks and finally I was able to convince him and we agreed I would give him the parcel later that night when we all went to read in the library for our exams.

Some way or the other I should have listened to that inner voice which told me to drag him to my place and dump the parcel on him all these weeks.But I didn't.I got ready for the library and picked up the parcel determined not to forget this time.My friend and I walked to school together and at a point we noticed activity everywhere,A lot of students were running around crying,some screaming.We couldn't fathom what was happening..My friend wanted to run but I pulled her by the arm and convinced her we should forge ahead to see what was going on.We practically had to squeeze our way through a gathering of people to see what the problem was...

I wish I could forget the sight...There was my dear friend,my best friend Andrew on the floor in a pool of his own blood,weak beyond words.Crying I lifted his head on my laps and stroked his face.My words were muddled but there he was trying to speak to me but all that came out was more blood.Finally he whispered about my dad's parcel and I laughed out loud.In my mind I thought of how long I had wanted to give it to him.I felt like killing myself for not forcing him to take it.I picked up the parcel from where it had fallen and handed it to him.His hands were full of blood and I knew he was trying to fight for his life.

All I could do was cry,I ignored all the people around me saying he deserved it because he had gone on a killing spree at another institution and they had retaliated back.I couldn't digest the fact that my friend was really that bad.He tried opening the parcel and when he saw its contents,he lifted his hand to my cheek and said now I have it.With that he closed his eyes and was gone from this world.I buried my face with his and cried uncontrollably.I didn't know how many hours had gone by till the university staff came over and gently removed me from him,my whole body was bloodstained and gently they lifted him to take him to the morgue.The parcel slipped out of his hand and I picked it up and stared at it for long..I knew deep down maybe truly it hadn't been too late for him.

I walked back to my room where my friend had long gone out of fear.Looking at me,she hugged me to herself and broke down in tears.I looked at the sun that had come out and knew Andrew was up there.After a while I went to take a shower to wash myself of the all the blood I cried as I did it.He had gone,the best person I had known through all my years in school...My friend asked me few days later where the parcel I wanted to give Andrew was,suggesting I take it to his funeral.I pointed to my dresser and there she saw still soaked with his blood " The Holy Bible"..


I dedicated to this to my special friend Iyke.He kept on asking me to write about him though I guess he dint think I would do it this way but I got his full support.Unlike Andrew he received his parcel early and was able to change.He was able to give his life to Christ and I am more than proud of him.What we do in our past doesn't really matter but when we turn around a new leaf that's when truly we are forgiven.......

copyright 2008@ Titilayo Adebiyi

No comments: